Last week I shared a photo of my new couch. I don’t buy furniture often; I try to just keep my furniture in the best possible condition.
- I vacuum each piece every month or so.
- I clean them with “Resolve” when I see stains.
- I sew up any loose seams.
- If there is a worn spot, I will embroider it with a satin stitch. (The “Old Recliner” I posted last week had a spot that was embroidered. Did you even see it?)
- If I see a piece of material that has come loose I will reattach it with a staple gun.
- I tighten loose screws.
- I replace missing hardware.
- I also spray springs with WD40 when they get noisy.
Sometimes, it seems the piece of furniture is getting shaggy. I don’t just toss them; I take more drastic steps.
Can you see the difference between the right side and left side of this chair?
My secret is in the second photo.
That’s right, I shaved it! I used a disposable razor to shave off the pills. I took the picture when the chair was only half-finished.
It’s true, you can renew furniture!