We are celebrating our 33rd Wedding Anniversary this weekend! (Yes, we were really young when we got married. No, I was not pregnant; we waited four years to have kids.)
When people ask us the secret to a long marriage, we usually joke, “Marriage Counseling.” But there is no secret, you have to take care of it.
Marriage is not like a car that you can trade in for a newer model when it breaks down or starts to age.
Marriage is like a breast.
- Only adults have them.
- It starts small and grows so gradually you barely notice.
- It needs constant protection and support.
- It needs frequent examination against the cancers that will harm it. Those cancers can kill you.
- If properly cared for, it will nurture your children and be a source of comfort and pleasure for the rest of your life.
- The alternative will cost you physically, emotionally, spiritually, and financially for the rest of your life.
- Investing in your marriage does not require expensive gifts, trips, or dinners out. It requires time. Time to dream, plan, and just touch base.
It’s the best investment you will ever make!